NEED ASSISTANCE or Have Questions? 1-844-847-8283

Building a new home?
Plan ahead with Four States Fiber!

If you’re building a new home or remodeling a family room that could eventually include Four States Fiber services or other high-end electronics, now is the time to install the proper wiring to support them. Installing high-capacity, high-grade wiring and cable during the building or remodeling phase, while the walls are accessible, can save you big bucks down the road.

What You Need:

To get the most out of today’s electronics, we recommend installing Category 5 E (Cat-5E) or Cat-6 twisted-pair wire for television, voice and data transmissions.

We recommend running all cabling from each spot where a phone, television, computer or router will be connected to a central hub, preferably in the center of the home. When routing your new cabling to your central hub, remember NOT TO RUN THE CAT5 NEXT TO POWER WIRE OR OVER ANY FLUORESCENT LIGHTS. Cat5 cable is not shielded like coaxial cable and any interference from the power or lights may affect your services. It’s best to drill a separate hole through the framing and keep the Cat5 on the other side of the power wire at a minimum of six inches.

If you’re building a new home and planning on utilizing our services, we recommend running the micro duct for microfiber to your central hub that will be used to connect your services. On the outside of the home a Network Interface Device (NID) will be mounted close to the electric meter. From the NID, a microfiber is run to our Optical Network Terminal (ONT). While the walls are open in your new home, we suggest stubbing a ½” piece of micro duct conduit outside, so the microfiber can be run through it and the NID can cover. The best option is to run micro duct or flex conduit from the outside all the way to the central location where the CAT5 terminates. Four States Fiber can either run the microfiber through the conduit or will supply the microfiber for you to run.  

  • Keep in mind when running the microfiber not to kink or bend the fiber too tightly.  
  • If you plan on having “Smart TV’s” a second CAT-5 is advisable to those TV’s.

Our ONT’s have wireless capabilities or you can use your own wireless router.

The ability to use wireless will depend on the size and construction of the house and the locations of the central unit and the remote units. Which is why we encourage the use of the Cat-5 or Cat -6 cable in new construction.

We look forward to serving all your technology needs in the future and hope to be of help in this transitional time. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any further questions at 844-847-8283.